The organizing committee of the 4th World Congress of Korean Studies announces a call for papers to all academics and professionals in Korean studies. The World Congress, co-organized by the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) and Kyushu University, will be held from Sept. 22-24, 2008 at Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan. As one of the prominent Korean studies conference in the world, it will provide scholars with an opportunity to share their latest academic achievements and develop friendships in the field of Korean studies.
- Date: Mon. Sept. 22 ~ Weds. Sept. 24, 2008
- Venue: Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
- Official Languages: Korean, English
- Jointly organized by the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS), Kyushu University, International Society for Korean Studies (ISKS), Pacific and Asia Conference on Korean Studies (PACKS), Korean Studies Association of Australasia (KSAA), Association for Korean Studies in Europe (AKSE), Central Asian Association for Korean Studies (CAAKS) and the Committee on Korean Studies-Association for Asian Studies (CKS-AAS).
21st of Sept. (Sun) Banquet
22nd of Sept. (Mon) Opening Ceremony, Sessions
23rd of Sept. (Tue) Sessions, Closing Ceremony
24th of Sept. (Weds) Post-conference Cultural Tour (Optional)
- Designated Session (Individual Proposal)
History, Sociology, Culture/ Anthropology, Political Science, Economics/Trade/Industry, Law, Art, Folklore, Literature, Education, Science/Technology, Philosophy, Religion, Language
- Free Paper Session (Panel Proposal)
This session is to present participants’ interests and reflections on Korean studies.
A panel proposal including the topic of the session and organizing plan is required.
- Special Session (Individual Proposal)
How Korea is Reflected in Foreign Textbooks
Korean Language Studies for Foreigners/Korean Nationals Residing Abroad
History of Cultural Exchange between Korea and Japan
National Studies(국학) in Korea vs. Korean Studies around the World
*Each panelist has 30 minutes. There is a 20 minute time limit for the presentation and 10 minute for discussion.
Scholars and professionals, including graduate students pursuing a master’s or doctorate
Paper submissions will only be accepted online through the World Congress of Korean Studies homepage (www.aks.ac.kr/congress) from April 1 - May 10, 2008.
Once you have submitted your paper, you will receive an e-mail confirmation within 2 working days.
The abstracts will be reviewed based on content and suitability.
Selected presenters will be contacted individually by May 30, 2008 and notified about the guidelines.
Submission of the full paper (10-15 pages) is due via e-mail by Aug. 31, 2008 to email@example.com.
* The abstract cannot exceed 1000 words in English or 350 words in Korean.
**For the free paper session, a panel proposal, abstract and CV of each panelist is required.
***Congress homepage will be accessible starting Tuesday, April 1, 2008.
Accommodation & Fee
Full meal coverage (Sept. 21 Dinner ~ 24 Breakfast) and 3 nights lodging (Sept. 21- 23, 2 per room) will be provided for all congress participants. (An extra fee will be charged if you require a single room.)
Registration fee: US$ 50, KRW 50,000, JPY 5,000 (Cultural Tour is not included.) (Student fee: US$ 30, KRW 30,000, JPY 3,000)
Korean Studies Junior Scholar Thesis Award
We cordially invite students in Korean studies to apply for the Junior Scholar Thesis Award.
To apply, please check the box ‘KOREAN STUDIES JUNIOR SCHOLAR THESIS AWARD’ on your abstract submission form.
The committee will screen your paper and select the best thesis. Awardees will be acknowledged for their achievements.
Master and doctorate students are eligible to apply for this award.
Secretariat: The Academy of Korean Studies
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEL: +82-31-709-9843